Saturday, September 4, 2010

First Friday Confessional

Every Friday I am going to write honestly about challenges or embarrassing experiences that I have had as an obese person. Some stories will be painful to write and you may even find them downright hard to read, but I need to share them for three reasons:

1. I want tell other obese people, “You are not alone. I know your fears.”
2. I hope my stories might help people understand the concerns of their obese family members or friends. This is the stuff that happens but we, the obese, are too embarrassed to tell you.
3. Remembering and writing about some of my worst experiences will remind me why I am doing this and help keep me on track.

I’ve written quite a bit of personal stuff already this week so my first Friday Confessional will be short and simple. I cannot get life insurance. I can’t even pay extra for being a higher risk. I tried, but was turned down by three (or was it four?) different insurance companies. As one agent politely explained, my “girth” is above the acceptable range. How scary is that?

5 comments:

  1. yes, that is scary, Leigh. That would definitely serve to remind me that I have a really important reason to do this: my children. You are very courageous to share this with others - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your strength and bravery. I can't imagine how difficult it is to be so open and honest about everything. I've only been blogging (and a blog reader) for a few days now, but I relate so much to several of your posts! Keep up the good work - I love reading your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph, you just made me cry. No, no, it's ok! It was the GOOD kind of cry. The happy kind. You made me think about how beautiful it is to connect with other people from other places. I'm not really finding the right words here, but I just think it is wonderful that we're coming together to support each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your writing/blog style! I find your story very inspiring and I look forward to following it this year.

    I can't start the program until the beginning of next year since I am 7 months pregnant right now. (already on a strict program ) But I plan on jumping on the bandwagon to help lose the baby weight.

    About 10 months ago I started my blog because I was reaching out for support with infertility. I am amazed now at how just the simple act of sharing my story has brought me together with other woman all around the country and the world. You realize no matter what your issue is, you aren't alone. Connection is the key to life.

    I hope you find the same connection I have found through blogging.

    Your eager new reader,
    Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Melissa. And thanks for sharing your story. And congratulations on the new addition to your family!

    ReplyDelete