Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Who is that FAT chick in the photo?

I haven’t been fat my whole life. I was average for a short time in the mid 80s. But for the rest of my 40 something years I’ve been fat, fatter and fattest. Right now I’m fattest. I’m the girl you look at and wonder, “How did she let herself get so fat?” The short answer is this: I ate too much and moved too little. And the bigger I got, the harder it was to move so I just didn’t.

February 2010
One thing you need to understand about me is that when I look in the mirror I don’t see myself as fat as I am. And when my husband, my magnificent Eddy, when he looks at me, his loving eyes make me feel like a beauty. It’s not until I see myself in a picture that I’m startled and say, “Whoa. Who is that FAT chick in the photo?”

So, a few weeks ago I was with my MD and he was shocked, literally taken aback, when he saw the three digit number representing my weight. He said he knew I was heavy, but he had no idea I was that heavy. He said maybe it was time we talked about surgery. As in bariatric surgery. GASP! Surgery? Oh no, no, no. Surgery is not for me. Other people, sweet loving family members or friends trying to be helpful, had suggested surgery before (via my parents, or my husband), and I paid no attention, but this time it was official. It was my most trusted medical professional telling me it is time to consider surgery. When I left his office, for the first time in my life, I truly realized: This. Is. Serious.

We’ve already established that I won’t have surgery. And we’ve recognized that I got this fat because I ate too much and moved too little. Well, this should be easy, then. Right? All I have to do is eat less and move more. I can do that.

There will be challenges. There will be temptations. There will be cravings. Some days will be a breeze, but others days will be a full on war with the fat chick in the photo. But when she tells me that one container of Ben & Jerry’s won’t hurt, I’ll have to shut her up, then put on my sneakers. Yeah! I can do this! I CAN DO THIS!

Over the next few days I am going to establish a set of goals. Weekly goals, monthly goals, yearly goals. I’ll share those goals and record my successes (and my frustrations) here on the blog.

My ultimate goal is to weigh less than Eddy. I thought a great deal about what I would do first if I weighed less than Eddy and I decided that it would be totally cool if he could pick me up and twirl me around a dance floor. Something sexy like Latin dancing. Hence my Blog name: The Mambo Project.

So here it begins. The Mambo Project. My life changing quest to eat less and move more so I can stop being the fat chick in the photo.

10 comments:

  1. I totally believe in you, Leigh. You CAN DO THIS!!!

    What an inspiration you are, and if you need any encouragement, you know who to call... even more - if you need someone to join you when you get those sneakers on, just call.

    I WANT to lose weight. My knees hurt, I hate being in photos (never mind looking at them), my dog is neglected, and I'm disappointed with myself. But, do I ever get off my butt and do something about it? Not nearly often enough! Reading your blog made me realize that I also need a set of concrete goals.

    So here they are: I WILL weigh less than my hubby (he's a full foot taller than me, but scrawny.. how hard should that be? LOL!) I guess that's a good ultimate goal for me too. I don't expect to ever be thin, but I do want to get to a healthier weight. Here's an immediate goal: I WILL walk my neglected dog tonight, for at least 45 minutes.

    You're not alone, Leigh! I'm beginning with you, and I'm with you for as long as it takes. For me it's "The Rumba Project" - my most favorite and the most deliciously sexy of the Latin dances...

    xo Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Go Abby!! :) My hope was to inspire others who will share stories then we can encourage each other. You're jumping in on day one! I love this! Let's Rrrrrrumba!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you Miss Leigh, every step, every inch and every pound of the weigh :-)
    Once again, I too am trying to move more and munch less then maybe I will have the courage to stand on the other side of the camera and smile.
    We've made our promises to each other before - and I stand by them ALL today.
    I really want to go shopping with you. I really want to go hiking with you. I really want to celebrate old age birthdays with you.
    So lets do it and kick some heavy duty ass!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, my knees hate me, but my dog loves me again :) Actually 45 minutes goes by really quickly when you're listening to good music!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so inspired by your goal Leigh, and challenged to make one of my own.

    Pretty sure that I do still weigh less than my hubby, but that's not saying much. We BOTH are in serious need of a makeover! Perhaps some much needed exercise would help reduce my stress level which could ... maybe ... just possibly ... prayerfully help reduce/rid the whole vertigo problem. Wouldn't that be cool!

    I'm certain the 2 - yes you read that right, TWO - pieces of cheesecake I ate yesterday will have to be my last.

    The challenge for me is that I need someone to exercise with, because I'm too nervous to venture out on my own for fear of being stuck - literally - clinging to someone's tree, or sitting/laying on their lawn - waiting for the vertigo to pass ... too uncomfortable to face on my own.

    Must say that I, too, LOVE to dance. And I'd love to look and feel sexy in a pretty dress. Can't say I've ever had that feeling so that would make a good goal. A sexy dancing dress in a 'regular' (not plus) size. Yes, that's it.

    And hopefully I can motivate my wonderful hubby to join me in putting those sneakers on and jiggling that fat until it ALL falls off. How good it would be to share the fat with someone who genuinely needs it instead of hogging it all for myself.

    So far I'm on the right track. Another good friend has been inspiring me to eat healthy. And along with the 'healthy' food, I realized that a sedentary lifestyle means I'll have to compromise by EATING a lot LESS. This whole "healthy-eating," "eating-less" part is going really well (except for that cheesecake episode), so I'm certain that once I add the much needed Get Up And Go, I think the weight will start moving ... somewhere besides my inner and outer thighs and midriff!

    So Leigh, I'm ready to MOVE with you (will you help prop me up through the 'dizzy' parts). For me it's "The Cha Cha Project" - I love those sexy, swinging hips. Mine WILL move that way someday ... without taking out everyone around me on the dance floor!

    (((((Hugs))))) Joy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you don`t mind if I follow along in your journey :)And what an awesome journey to share too. Amazing and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is hilarious! We have to start calling ourselves the "jiggling Latin ladies" :) :)

    Joy, I'll walk with you when you need a partner!

    Here's something that I have been "sitting on" for a while. Since my hubby runs marathons, and since I seriously doubt I could run the length of a city block, I have been considering trying this "couch to 5K running plan" out. I think a great exercise goal would be to be able to run 5K. Wonder if my knees will do it?

    Guess I won't know until I try. I'm going to stop sitting on this and just DO IT!

    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leigh,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I think this will be powerful if we know others are watching. Can't wait to hear all about it when you are twirling on the dance floor.
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my book of choice right now
    http://www.noneedforspeed.com/uof/noneedforspeed/
    John "the penguin" Bingham started out just like us - a non athlete several pounds over weight and needing to move more and eat less - and look where he is today!

    This year I finally figured out I could go longer if I stopped trying to go so fast - just like the man himself advises.

    Clocked in another 2 miles today. But there's only FOUR WEEKS until I have to do the CIBC Run for the Cure 5K.
    I don't think I'll be running the whole 5k - but I'm going to give it a damn good try.

    What did you do today?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome Kags, Jenn, Joy and Trish! Joy - I liked your wish to "look and feel sexy in a pretty dress." I sooo look forward to that, too. Karen will help us shop (right, Kags?) She's my friend with the eye for fashion. And way to go with the running Karen! (Good luck in the 5K) Jenn, thanks for your support! (and I totally love your blog.) Trish - this is going to be a great year :)

    ReplyDelete